Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate agent & Vendor disputing surveyor's home buyer report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate agent & Vendor disputing surveyor's home buyer report

Hi everyone,

I have recently had a home buyer report carried out by Nationwide's selected surveyor. Overall we were happy with the outcome. However he did flag up a critical regarding the front steps to the house, which he said was subsiding and requires complete reconstruction.

I pointed this out to the estate agent/vendor, as I feel this needs sorting before we put our deposit down. However, they have both rejected this and will not entertain any renegotiations. The estate agent has also, on a recent phone conversation, completely discredited the surveyor's professional competency. Now, I'm a first time buy but this seems completely out of order. I feel he is trying to draw us away from the surveyor's findings to ensure he gets a bigger cut of the deal. Am I correct with this opinion? Has anybody else experienced anything like this or know how to proceed? Am I paying the HBR to much importance, etc?

I am going to approach my solicitor tomorrow, first thing.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks

Paul
    Last edited by PaulH; 23-08-2015, 05:00 PM.

Re: Estate agent & Vendor disputing surveyor's home buyer report

You need to speak to your solicitor not the vendor or the estate agent. Your solicitor can ask the seller (through his solicitor) to rectify the problem but the vendor can say no.

To be honest, steps are separate to the main property and may not have very deep foundations, which may be the reason they are subsiding. It's not a difficult job to get someone in to construct some new steps so perhaps ask for a quote for this. Whether or not the vendor will agree to reduce the price to reflect the cost of the works will depend on whether you already had a reduction on the sale price and whether your mortgage lender value the property at the price you're paying which would take into account a certain amount of maintenance.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
    X