Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annexe caught in family divorce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annexe caught in family divorce

Bit of a complicated situation here so hope someone can help.

I live with my wife & two children on a small family farm belonging to my father inlaw & which was left to him by his father. We (Myself & partner) got permission & built a small 2bedroom cottage (a separate annexe to the main farmhouse) on the land. Being family we didn't ask for anything in writing that the land or building is ours but my wife's parents & 2 other sisters agreed that it was ours (We paid for & built it ourselves) & should anything happen we would get the value that the cottage added to the value of the farm.

We lived there for just under 7yrs paying seperate council tax etc...in our name.
    Then 2yrs ago my mother in law effectively blackmailed us to swap houses or sell the whole farm. Against our wishes we agreed. Now my wifes parents are getting divorced & my mother in law is refusing to acknowledge any arrangement to give us anything more than (her half of) the cost of building of the property WE built that is valued at adding £240,000 to the farm. My father in law IS honouring the agreement, 1 sister is willing to witness the arrangement the other is refusing to "take sides". My mother in law has had no monetary input & didn't help build the cottage.

The divorce proceedings are in there final stages (negotiating settlement) & its only now that we have found out her intentions. Naturally this divorce is complicated due to the farm being inherited & being a buisiness etc... that is being delt with already.

My questions are,

Is there any action myself & partner can now take against my mother in law regarding her broken verbal agreement?

Can we dissmantle the building without legal action from her?

Any advice gratefully recieved.
Working...
X