Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying House With Unfinished Extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying House With Unfinished Extension

Hi All,

After a bit of advice, I've been search for a while on the forum and can't find exactly the help I need.
    We've had an offer accepted on a house which has a 2 storey side extension. Planning permission is in place, but as the extension isn't finished there is no building regs completion certificate. We're happy that we've knocked some money off of the price.
    Not sure about the legal side though, Ive read about indemnity insurance to cover the lack of building regs, but as the property isn't finished will an indemnity insurance help?
    The property has electrics, plumbing "installed" but not switched on, and it finished on the outside, just needs finishing (floors, plastering etc).
    Owners are selling because they have separated and lack of cash to finished the build.
    Just wondered if anyone has experience of this?
    I think if the extension had been completed then indemnity would be a good fixed (if mortgage lender allows) As it's not finished I could maybe contact the council if we buy and get the extension approved once finished. The current owner has had the building inspector visit during the build (or so he says)

Thanks in advance for your help
    Graham

Re: Buying House With Unfinished Extension

Hi Graham,

Best to get a surveyor in and they will expalin what your position is and how
    best to proceed from a legal point of view. If you are purchasing with mortgage you will need a survey anyway. If you are paying cash then get a survey done yourself to be on the safe side of things.

Ged
    http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Re: Buying House With Unfinished Extension

Thanks Ged. The mortgage company is sending in a surveyor to do a valuation, but not any sort of structural surveyor. No doubt they will report on the condition...

Comment

Working...
      X