Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

    I had an extension built 11 years ago and it has full planning consent but we did not have the final building regs cert. The reason for this is that the last inspector said that I would need to change the roof tiles as the pitch of the room was aprox 5 degrees lower that the spec for the roof tiles that we used. Now that we are selling the house this is becoming an issue and I am unsure what to do. The options are 1. Waiting for the new buyers to query this and get an indemnity insurance policy to cover this. 2 contact building control and get the final sign off completed.

    The issues that I have are option 1 may scare the buyers off and delay the sale of the house. Option 2 may open a can of worms eg Building Control (BC) may look back and ask me to complete loads of work that does not meet the current building regs.

    Does anyone know if the BC can make me change work that has been previously signed off or if the old regs will apply as the earlier work has been approved? Also what is the best option to go for?

    Many thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by picto; 18-01-2015, 06:34 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

    What a mess!
    You should have insisted on it passing Building Regulation final inspection before paying your builder.
    You should have sued your/his architect and/or the builder for using the wriong tiles or the wrong roof pitch.
    Now you have a mess all of your own making!
    This should act as a warning to others hopping to by-pass building regulations.
    You only hope is the buyers solicitor and surveyor may miss it.
    BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

      I agree and never have anything done to your home without planning
      permission or getting this signed off. Looks like the builder/contractor
      got away lightly with this one

      Ged
      http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
      [email protected]

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

        Firstly it may not get raised as an enquiry by the buyer - unfortunately not all Solicitors know what to do about Building Regs so it may get overlooked. If it does get picked up there are two options - 1) get a regularisation certificate from the LA - they will come out to do the final inspection and advise of any works required so that it can be 'signed off' once the works are complete they will sign it off and issue the certificate. 2) Go with indemnity insurance - this is quick and usually cheap, as the seller you would need to pay for this. You do not need to offer any of these solutions now wait until it is raised by the buyers. DO NOT go to the LA now as if you make an approach to them you will not be able to go down the indemnity route as it will invalidate any future insurance policy you could get.
        Also you must ensure that you do not misrepresent the situation to your buyer as you could get sued later down the line.
        Lastly how it is dealt with will depend on whether the buyer is having a mortgage - if so the lender may not accept insurance, but that is quite unusual.
        Your Solicitor should be able to advise you on the situation and I hope it gets sorted. It arises quite frequently and should get resolved easily.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Selling a house with an extension that has not had final inspection

          Hi Picto, just wondering if you got a resolution to this, we're in a similar position..

          Thanks

          Comment

          Working...
          X