Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

No buildings complketion certificate

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No buildings complketion certificate


    I have found a property for sale which i would like to purchase, however i have found some fairly major issues as a stumbling block

    The house is part of a small housing development of 5 houses. I estimate the properties to be 5-10 years old. The property i would like to purchase apparently doesnt have a buildings completion certificate ( so i assume this means NHBC and building regs related). Im unsure as to if theres an issue with planning permission.

    How can I get a mortgage for such a property, as i doubt anyone will lend on a property without a completion certificate.

    The house it currently empty, and im guessing it maybe a repo.

    Iv read about indemnity insurance but unsure if this would help me??

    Would i be able to get a regularisation certificate to comply with all building regs etc and get a completion certificate.

    Its the perfect house and i really dont want to miss it but then i dont want to end up with a house which has a lot of uncertanity to its future.

    The house has a lot of interest, and had offers, so need to move fast.

    any help would be appreciated

    Thanks Steve

  • #2
    Re: No buildings complketion certificate

    One option could be to request retrospective consent from the council which would involve an application process. If they cannot see the property confirms to building regulations then they might issue a notice which can be costly and cause delays if it needs to be done prior to exchange.

    Indemnity insurance is an option but the exact procedure would depend on the type of lender you are using.

    An option is to ask the Seller or the estate agents directly to see if one is held on file.

    If the property was built after 2006 than in most cases you can track planning permission consents online using ‘the public portal’. To do this, just log into your councils website and search planning applications. A search engine should come up where you can type in the address or postcode and search from there.

    To advise any further we just need the draft contract documentation and then we can tailor some advice to the position.