Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeholder issue going to Small Claims Court in Brighton,advice/representation needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeholder issue going to Small Claims Court in Brighton,advice/representation needed

Hope someone can advise or even offer to represent us?

The freeholder of a block of flats in Brighton is causing real problems for me and my business partner, who own a 3 bed flat in the block which we are in the process of selling. Ironically, we sold the freehold and five other flats to this developer a year ago.

Immediately upon this happening, they levied ridiculous service charges for routine and major works, eg, for a replacement fire alarm system when the existing one is working and has not been replaced. In total, they've levied charges for £8000, of which we think £4000 is bona fide, and went straight to the Small Claims Court to recover the money when we questioned this. We filled in a counter claim for £2000,as they damaged our flat when renovating a flat above.

This goes to Brighton County Court on November 4th, and I understand they will have legal representation. However, we cannot find anyone to represent us , should we present the case ourselves?
    Does anyone know someone who might represent us? Brighton lawyers we have spoken to say they are too busy, too short notice, and that we don't need representation in the Small Claims Court.

Any advice very much appreciated!

Suzyt
Working...
X