Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Majority shareholder of Freehold rights - smoking issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Majority shareholder of Freehold rights - smoking issue

Hi all, I own a Victorian massionette and underneath is a rented basement flat. I own two thirds of the freehold the landlord of the basement a third. The tenants in the basement smoke and they stink my house out on a daily basis. I have raised the issue with them, the letting agents who manage the flat and also the landlord. The landlord has said it should be no smoking but nothing has been done by anyone to sort the issue. The letting agent have told me they have no rights to change the tenancy agreement. This has been going on for 3 years now and my 2 year son is now in hospital with respiratory issues. I am not happy. What are my rights? Obviously this issue not only affects health but also damage to property decrease value, housing insurance is more expensive too. I want to sorted right now. I am willing to take legal action if I have a case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Majority shareholder of Freehold rights - smoking issue

If the agreement says no smoking is allowed, then the agency needs to enforce this.

I would double check on that detail, and if true, consider sending a solicitor's letter warning that if they do not enforce their own contract, then you will apply for compensation from the agency.

Simply my initial thought.

Comment

In my opinion, giving up smoking is the best decision you can make now. You can do it via vaping and you shouldn't be afraid of it. It is much safer and you can buy vape kits for newbies to check it. They are not expensive and they are perfect for beginners.

Comment

Working...
      X