Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surveyors did not pick up that extension had no planning permission!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveyors did not pick up that extension had no planning permission!!

Hello All!
    We are after some well appreciated advice.
    We purchased our house on a shared ownership scheme back on 2008.
    Shortly after we moved in we got a letter from the council saying that the extension on the back of our house had no planning permission!!!
    We paid for a survey through our mortgage lender, a well know building society.

Should the lack of planning permission been picked up by the surveyor??

We are told the we have to either put exterior door in to seperate the kitchen from the extension. Or pay for an inspection of the build which i'm lead to believe is very costly.

Please help, any advice is very welcome.

Re: Surveyors did not pick up that extension had no planning permission!!

The only purpose of a mortgage lender survey, is for the lender to satisfy themselves that they are not lending more than the house is worth, so it's doubtful that they would pick up on this.

On each occasion that I have bought a house my solicitor stated that they would check any planning history, however they would have to know that the house was extended in order to know they were looking for specific records (or lack of) and to be able to report on the findings.

Did you inform the solicitor at the time that the house was extended?

Comment

Re: Surveyors did not pick up that extension had no planning permission!!

Dear Dougie.

Thanks so much for your reply. That has really cleared it up for me.

I've looked back mountain of paperwork from the solicitors and in the local authority search it flagged up that a leanto and conservatory had been removed from property and planning permission applied for the erection of a single story extension to the front. side and rear of property. The sellers solicitors informed ours that the work was never implemented.

We confirmed this to our solicitors as correct as and extension of the above description was never built.

However, what is is place is a 'conservatory' to the rear of the property but with a tile roof. I think where we have gone wrong is not understanding what a 'conservatory' means and assumed what we have is the conservatory mentioned before which was planned for demolition.

Where can we go from now?
      Putting doors between the kitchen and the extension would completely ruin the house.
      Any ideas?

Many Thanks
      Sarah

Comment

Working...
      X