Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a house with no planning permission for attached garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house with no planning permission for attached garage

I am currently buying a house that has had an attached garage and utility room built back in 1991. I am looking to convert the garage into a living space, adding a window etc. I spoke to my local council to find out what sort of planning permission I might require to do this and found out that the original planning permission for the garage/ utility room was denied. They went onto say that although this was the case, I would not need permission to change the use (as long as not adding a bay window). The original garage/utility room has had the relevant building regulations, which was confirmed by the building control department (which is how we know it was built in 1991). My solicitor is now requesting the vendor supplies us with a certificate of lawfulness to ensure that the council do not take any enforcement action. I understand this could take months! My question is whether a certificate of lawfulness is necessary given the work was carried out so long ago (and building regs would prove this)? If the council do not take action after the 4-10 year rule, do we really need this cert? Have been told by solicitor that indemnity insurance is not possible as we have already spoken to the local council about the matter.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Emma81; 11-02-2013, 10:13 PM.
Working...
X