Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a new home - contracts advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brian
    replied
    Re: Buying a new home - contracts advice

1. I would expect you'd need a plan, but that's for your solicitor to advise, and hopefully will sort out.

2. If you've signed nothing, there's no agreement, and if you walk away there's no penalty. What you're coming across is sales speak - they *could* withdraw the offer, but whether they do or not is irrelevant. Understand the discount is not personal to you, it's just the company trying to shift stock.

Leave a comment:

• lauralaura
    started a topic Buying a new home - contracts advice

Buying a new home - contracts advice

My husband and I are buying a new home from Bellway in the UK. We have noticed some things in the contracts we're concerned about and so is our solicitor, although we're not sure if this is normal and we're just being really picky so if any one has purchased a new home (from Bellway or any other UK builders) or has experience from a legal point of view it would be really useful. Here they are:

1. We have picked the house style we want, been in the show house and seen the plot of land but what we don't have is a drawing with scale to show how big the garden is. We have stood in it with the sales lady and she has said it will be roughly this size. We have nothing in writing apart from a builder's plan that isn't to scale. I'm worried that if we move in and the garden is smaller than we thought we can't really do anything about it. Their other excuse is that they have a plan that relates to the reference number on our reservation document, but we're not allowed the plan. Is the plan (without scale) enough? Some people say it is because you could work it out based on the garage and house size etc.

2. We are purchasing the house for £300,000. It was marketed at £345,000 so we got a £45,000 discount. They are saying that we have to complete on X date and if we don't (even if it's not our fault) they can withdraw the discount and by then we wouldn't be able to pull out as the contracts have been signed a few weeks previous. The sales lady has said that never happens and if it wasn't our fault it wouldn't be an issue. Again, we're signing something to say if it doesn't happen they can lump £45,000 on to the price. I have purchased houses before where we had to wait until the next day as there was an issues with the banks not transferring the money.

Please let me know it we're being silly with these points. I'm just a bit scared as we'll be handing over 10% of the money as we exchange contracts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Working...
X