Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer of Deeds - ex has left UK moved back to Greece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of Deeds - ex has left UK moved back to Greece

We bought a house last year, joint tenants.

We broke up in November and she has moved back to Greece, she is not paying towards the mortgage or bills. I have spoken to the bank and they are prepared to take her off the mortgage but she will not sign the transfer of deeds unless I give her my dog!

She is not coming back to the UK again so she will not come here to sign anything. She wants me to pay for her possessions to be sent back as she is unemployed in Greece.

I do not want to give her my dog as she will be stuck on a little balcony at her apartment and she will not be able to feed/pay for her vet bills in the future.

What are my options?

Re: Transfer of Deeds - ex has left UK moved back to Greece

You can't make her transfer it to you, but you may be able to make her sell it. If she won't sign then you apply tot he court for an order for sale and if she is entitled to a share of the net proceeds then the cost of this will come out of her share. This is likely to be several thousands of pounds. If there is not likely to be enough left after the mortgage has been paid off then you have a problem - you have nothing to threaten her with.

You can carry on paying the mortgage but you will always need her signature to sell and if the property goes up in value in the future she may demand a high price to sign.

This is one of these cases where there really isn't any cheap and easy solution. Not a lot of help to you but may be others thinking of buying property together will think more carefully before they do it about the extent of their commitment to each other. See People Buying Houses and Flats Together | Joint Purchasers | Richard Webster & Co Solicitors and Joint Occupation or Ownership of Flats and Houses - Problems that can arise. The point is that there some situations where the law cannot help, or cnanot do so expect at unreasonably high cost and where the in some cases had the individuals invovled throught the thing through more they would have been less keen on buying together.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X