Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying from family member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying from family member

I was hoping someone could advise me on the following.

My brother owns 40% of a house and my father owns 60%, i need to buy the 40% off my brother and have the deeds transferred into my name. If the total value of the property is 250,000 GBP can anyone tell me if I will have to pay stamp duty as i will only be spending 100k on the property.

All advice welcome.

Re: Buying from family member

Hi, this is really something you should have a solicitor handle for you to ensure that your interest is protected but to answer your question, you will only pay SDLT on the value of the interest being transferred.

At £100k, no SDLT is payable.

Hope that helps, and please as I say, seek legal advice on this if you haven't already.
    I am a dual qualified lawyer and surveyor but what I say here is not legal advice!
    http://www.thepowerlinegroup.co.uk Pylon Compensation

Comment

Re: Buying from family member

Agree with last post.

If there is a mortgage on the property then you also have to include the proportion of the mortgage debt that you are taking over - presumably 40% in the calculation. So If there is a £100K mortgage and you take over £40K SDLT is calculated on £100K = £40K = £140K and is therefore charged at 1% = £1,400.

However as you are paying £100K I assume that there is no mortgage as you would not be silly enough to pay as much as that if you were going to be lumbered with a share in the mortgage liability.
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
      X