Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a house and i feel lied to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a house and i feel lied to

Hi, I've just bought a house which me and my partner have worked really hard for, we thought we where moving into a quiet house (detached) and no noisy neighbors, we asked the question to the vendor about is it quiet and she said yes, also the paper work signed by the vendor for things like any neighbor disputes etc... Well 1 question asks something along the lines of "do you know of any other reason that may affect the sale e.g noise etc..." well she failed to mention that anything next door do in the alley way between our houses comes through to our house, like the dog that barks all the time, motor bike going up and down, music etc... I'm totally gutted because we only moved from our old house (semi) which we loved because of our neighbors not having an ounce of consideration. We've been in less than a week and I want out already.

What can we do? I don't really want to go knocking on my neighbors door already asking to please keep it down, its not the way I want to start things off.

All we wanted was a quiet life.

Re: Just bought a house and i feel lied to

You did visit the area on a number of occasions at different times of day and night?
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

thanks for your reply, but yes we did used to visit the area on a number of occasions possibly once a week up until we exchanged contracts, but outside the house is not the problem its the alley between our detached houses, the alley is basically a drive for next door which has our lounge wall on the end of it and the same set up on our side for our other neighbours on the opposite side. so coming round at different times of day etc... we wouldnt necessarily see or hear what was happening. i spoke to my solicitor (who hasnt been very helpful through the whole sale process) and she said that it was up to me to prove that the vendor was living in the house while all this noise was happening, she said just because the vendor has put "no" to anything which she might know to be a dispute in the future between the property and properties nearby, the vendor could also say that they never really stayed in the house to hear the noise's, but even if the vendor says that, then that is not filling out the form accurately which is what the form ask's for, the form states that any info must be clear and accurate and not misleading, well if she spent say 10% of her time in the property then she should have wrote "i only spend 10% of my time in the property and at that time i have not come across anything which could result in a dispute" which if i had have then read that, that would have sent alarm bells ringing in my head. but i know she lived here every time we had a viewing you could see she was living in it.

also we both happened to use the same solicitor company, different individuals but the same firm, could this be a conflict of interest and that is why the solicitor basically fobbed me off.

thank you again for your reply.

Dave

Comment

Well, I wouldn't have been happy having the same firm act for me as the seller.

Apart from that the seller could say that it wasn't as bad etc as you now allege. They didn't have the problem or not so much as to cause them to complain etc.

It will be very difficult to prove anything against the seller. Surely you noticed that next door had a dog when you viewed the property.

Unfortunately it is a problem that cannot easily be resolved. It would cost thousands to have a court case with lots of local witnesses who hopefully will say how awful these neighbours are and how the seller had complained about them. If you can't find any locals to give evidence you have a bigger problem. Cross examining witnesses looks easy and straightforward on TV court programmes but actually costs lot so money with expensive barristers to do it, and takes lots of time and you rarely get a dramatic result in your favour as on TV!
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply, I understand what you are saying and after talking with my partner we have decided to give the property a tidy up (it is abit dated) and put it up for sale and take this as a learning curve and abit of experience.

Comment

Don't forget to declare the noise when you do get to sell the place (and I hope you declared it on the Seller's Property Information Form for the house you moved out of, when you sold). Otherwise you'd be acting exactly like the previous owners.

Comment

Working...
            X