Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Sale stalled - building regs.. help!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sale stalled - building regs.. help!

    We're selling our terraced house. we've been in the house 12 years. Some work was done by prior owners (through lounge, chimney breast removal) We have no idea when the work was done and have no building reg certification for the work.

    Our buyer's solicitor is saying indemnity policy will not be acceptable as the buyer wants to put in a loft conversion, will have to get the council in to inspect it and the indemnity will be invalidated. We are relucant to get council building reg regularisation as they will only inspect if work done since nov 1985 and we have no knowledge of whether the work was done after 1985 or before.

    Our solicitor has gone back to the buyer's solicitor with this information and has told us to wait and see what their response is.

    This must be such a common occurrence - houses lack building regs and buyer wants to do building work...
    Not sure what other options we have - I've seen mention of a bespoke indemnity policy that might cover the buyer.. Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this and found a way around the problem....