Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding wife's name to a leasehold title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding wife's name to a leasehold title

A few years ago my wife and I gave my son a flat on long leasehold - we own the freehold. Now he is married and wants to add his wife's name to the leasehold title (as beneficial joint tenants). I've agreed to do the paperwork. There are no mortgages or other charges/restrictions. We know we need to submit to LR forms AP1, TR1 and ID1 x4. My question is: in form TR1, who are (a) the transferor (is it just my son) and (b) the transferee (is it: son plus daughter in law)? If so, do the docs not require any signature/execution by ourselves as freeholders - hence only ID1 x2? Also, a subsidiary question: the lease had only his name on it - now by the effect of this transfer she will become a party to the lease, but according to LR staff there is no need to change the lease itself. Is that right? Many thanks!

Re: Adding wife's name to a leasehold title

Freeholder doesn't need to be involved in this transfer at all so only need ID1 for the two of them.

Parties to the original lease do not change. It will always be the Lease dated [whenever it was made] made between [Names of freeholders who granted it] and [Name(s) of original lessee]. The people who will be the registered proprietors of the leasehold title created by it will change, that's all.

TR1 should be between Son as Transferor and Son AND Daughter in law as Transferee.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X