Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Buying a house with deposit by selling FIL's house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying a house with deposit by selling FIL's house

    Hello there, wondering if someone can help me. My FIL (father in law) is selling his property and providing the proceeds of the sale to me to put down a deposit on a new property and is planning to move in with us into the new house. I am also planning to put his name on the title deeds of the new home but without having is name on the mortgage papers (not sure if this can be done). The questions are:

    1. Will the money he is providing us be liable for inheritance tax?
    2. Can he have his name on the new property's title deeds without having his name on the mortgage papers?
    3. Does he need to seek any other form of independent legal advice as he will be seen gifting his proceeds to us to put down as a deposit?