Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Building regs internal manhole affect sale of property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Building regs internal manhole affect sale of property

I am trying to sell my property and recently discovered an internal manhole in the basement which was turned into a playroom bathroom and kitchen in the mid/late 90's. The house was converted to two flats mid 70's and the manhole was there then.

I have now been told the manhole is not within regs and the reason we discovered it was it was used to unblock sewage from the properties somewhere in the front garden.

The flat is leasehold and the freeholder converted the house to flats but I have now been told the drainage and outlet in front garden is not suitable for the property at all. The freeholder now states that the conversion of basement was done without permission but it was a change of use and so long ago and it has had Completion Certificates by Local Authority from 1999.

There is now a big query as to what needs to be done, freeholder states it is my issue due to all the internal changes and extra bathroom but all this work was carried out before I bought the property.

I am now thinking I will have to take my property off the market to resolve it as I have an offer but I have been told that I should not accept until this is resolved.

Where do I start? Do I tell them the problems and enforce the freeholder?

I am really concerned as the Water Company have come out and state that my basement may have to be dug up because of the manhole not meeting regulations and state it is a health and safety risk.

Any advice would be most greatly received.

Re: No Building regs internal manhole affect sale of property

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with a basement flat I purchased in 2011. There is a manhole in the bedroom that has overflowed and ruined carpets. The Freeholder claims the damage is down to me on my contents insurance. I bought the flat unaware of the manhole and have also been told by the Freeholder the flat had no planning permission. None of this information I was told before purchasing, I had a surveyor over to the flat before buying but they didn't lift carpets to find the manhole. I would like to sell the flat but I'm not sure how it much it affects the market value, also how easy it will be to sell. I am dealing with the carpets being replaced plus some damp issues which I am installing a powerful extractor fan to help with ventilation.

Any advice about how your situation came out would be great. It's been a completely unforeseen situation which I now keep suspecting the estate agents plus the Lawyers they encouraged me to use are all part of. It's difficult to know who to contact and trust will give me correct information. I guess I'd like to know overall if after having the problems rectified will it affect the market value considerably?

Comment

Working...
    X