Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer of Share Certificate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of Share Certificate

Hi there,

I've recently bought a house I have purchased a share of the freehold.

Does anyone know how I transfer the share certificate from the vendor over to me?

Dorian

Re: Transfer of Share Certificate

This doesn't make sense.

Is it a house or a flat?

Did you buy a lease of this house or flat from your vendor (V)?

The freehold presumably belonged to more than one person? V and others?

What did your solicitor tell you about it?

If it was a flat where the freehold title to the building belonged to no more than 4 individuals then V and the others would have to sign a transfer deed to transfer the freehold to you(U) and the others. If the freehold belonged to a company which was owned by the flat owners then you would simply get membership or a share certificate in the company. Your solicitor should have explained all this.

Share of freehold is not a separate form of ownership. It is leasehold where the freehold is owned by some or all of the lessees of the flats in the building.

I suppose a group of houses could have a freehold shared between several people who each owned their individual houses leasehold but I have never seen this.

More explanation about this whole topic found at Shared Freehold Flat Conveyancing
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Transfer of Share Certificate

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I made that more confusing than it needed be. It's a flat not a house.

The freehold is shared between 5 people, 1 of which has now left as I bought her property.

Beyond that I'm not sure whether it's a company I'm supposed to be getting a share of. That would make sense.

I'll investigate further. Thank you for your help in the meantime.

Cheers,

Dorian

Comment

Working...
      X