Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partners Entitlement to sale of house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partners Entitlement to sale of house

Hope this hasnt been covered already, had a search buy not sure what im looking for!

Currently looking to buy my first house, paying cash for the house which i got through compensation (Not sure if compensation is relevant). The house will be in my name but I will be living in it with my girlfriend of 5 year.

I will be paying all household bills (Gas, electric, water etc.) then were going half on food as I earn more than her.

I know its not the best way of thinking but ive got to protect my future when i may need the money.

Hypothetically if we break up is she entitled to any profit from sale of the house?

Does this change if we get married/have children?

I found a link on law society .org .uk which says;

Home ownership

If you move in with someone and the house is only in their name, usually you have no right to the proceeds from selling the house. This applies unless you can prove:

you have contributed to the deposit for the house or the mortgage payments; or
    you have made a financial commitment (for example, paying for major work on the house) because it was agreed you would own a share of the house
    Thanks for any help.

Re: Partners Entitlement to sale of house

In other words, in England and Wales, your partner has no claim unless you are married, or else she ends up paying the mortgage.

However, the situation is different in Scotland - when not married but living together, in the event of a break up, a partner may still have a claim, even when not paying the mortgage, etc.

Comment

Working...
    X