Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No evidence of building control inspection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No evidence of building control inspection?

I'm currently in the process of buying a 1900s terraced house.

There is a kitchen extension to the back of the house. This was built in the 1950s as confirmed by our surveyor.

Our solicitor has completed searches and states that there are no records either held by the vendor or by the local council either of planning permission or of building control inspection.

The solicitor has stated that as the extension was constructed in the 1950s and is therefore 50-60 years old, the lack of a record of planning permission is no longer an issue. I have read up on this and believe this to be correct.

I am, however, worried about the lack of evidence of any building control inspection. We have had a Homebuyers Report carried out by a reputable surveyor and he has not uncovered any issues. He recommended that a full structural survey was not necessary as no obvious defects were showing and the house appears to be in good condition.

As well as worrying about any potential issues, I am however concerned that the lack of building control evidence may affect future resale value. Would it be expected with a building/extension of this age?

Re: No evidence of building control inspection?

This has been answered at: No evidence of building control inspection? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X