Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying parents half of property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying parents half of property

We have a mortgage on half of our property my partners parents own the other half around 110k. They have offered for us to buy their half intrest free over the next ten years. What do we need to do to make it legal? ie protect everyones intrests. We all get on dont get me wrong but just incase anything happens we want official documents etc.

Thanks

Re: Buying parents half of property

Personally speaking I think you would probably need to speak to an accountant, as I suspect that the taxman will see the "interest free" as a benefit in kind, ie, subject to tax.

Comment

No tax to pay!
      Benefit in kind? Really, it is half their house already!
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Yes, but the other half isn't.

The taxman can get very picky over benefits in kind, hence why I recommended speaking to an accountant who can more specifically advise.

Comment

Working...
        X