Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wording of Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wording of Lease

My lease contains the following:-

The landlord expressly reserves the right to withdraw release vary or abandon in favour of the owner or owners from time to time of any part of [name of property] (including the premises) any of the Management Restrictions entered into or to be entered into

There are no punctuation marks in the text.

1. Does "in favour of the owner" apply only to the word "adandon" or to the other preceding words (withdraw, release and vary).

2. What exactly does "in favour of the owner" mean?

3. In the above case does "owner" mean the Landlord?

Re: Wording of Lease

1. Applies to all those words.

2. It means that the landlord can decide not to enforce a particular restriction against a particular "owner", and other "owners" cannot complain about this.

3. Can't see how it can mean "landlord" if the "landlord" reserves the right to very etc in favour of an "owner". Owner must be therefore be a separate person or at least the same person in a different capacity, e.g. landlord owns freehold and also owns lease of a particular flat - so would be "owner" of that flat. The likely interpretation is that "owner" in this context means a lessee of an individual flat, but the whole lease would need to be looked at to see the matter in context so I could not give a definite view.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Looks like you are screwed.

Dont buy leasehold is my advice!

But do get professional legal advice.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Thank-you Richard for your reply. I am not in any way "screwed" as New Homes Expert suggested as my enquiry was simply out of interest. I am enjoying learning from this forum, so when I come across something in a lease that I do not understand I will probably post a message.

Comment

Working...
        X