Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendor/Buyer Responsibilty damage prior to exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor/Buyer Responsibilty damage prior to exchange

Any advice would be great.

I recently bought a freehold property.

After completion I discovered that there had been a burst pipe at the property and as a result considerable damage.

The vendor denied any knowledge at first.

Fast forward 6 months...

It has emerged that the pipe burst the day prior to exchange

I had a survey, damp etc done two weeks prior to this, visited the property on 3 occasions. But due to work could not be there on the actual day of exchange..

The vendor claimed on his insurance for this, never informed me, only just found out.

The insurance company (we are both with the same one) says this happened prior to my policy (so I cannot claim) and says he cannot claim anymore as he is no longer suffering a financial loss.. So I'm in a grey area. Tough luck apparently..

Question A) Is he liable for not informing me? (I know caveat Emptor but what about Caveat Venditor. I took all reasonable measures, should he have not disclosed this.

Question B) Is the insurance not liable under his policy?

There is more to this but don't want bore with details. But if anyone has any advice be great. As I seem to be doing all the work on this not my retained solicitor...
Working...
X