Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything I can do?

Dear all,

First of all I'm completely new to this forum so apologies if I have posted this message in the wrong place.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me .

Basically I purchased a leasehold maisonette 4 years ago and no major works were advised for the next 7 years.
    The property is part of a block of 10 flats, all managed by a Housing Association and the freehold is owned by the local council. Few properties are privately owned and the others are council flats.
    After 6 months we received a Section 20 'notice of intent to carry out major works' estimated to cost a total of £20,000 (about £2,000 per property). A year later, I received a new 'notice of intent' letter replacing the previous one with a new list of works and consequently a new estimate of £16,000 per property. Some of the work you could see needed doing in my opinion (i.e. replacing the old windows with double glazing) however most of the cost was due to a roof replacement. Why was the roof replaced? No reported leaks, problems or visible signs of wear & tear. The only reason I could acertain was that the roof had a 10 year life span & was now 10 years old...?

We had a meeting with the contractors a few months after receiving the 2nd letter and they confirmed that the estimated costs for the roofing were based on a preliminary survey ( only one out of five loft were inspected). Further investigation would follow...Then no more communication, the work started & is now complete.

No reason was given for the need to replace the roof.

My major problems are:

-That the roof has been done without giving any reason/justification as no leak or problem was ever reported.

- A huge amount of money is now being requested only one year after purchasing the property without any prior indication of major works needed on the structure.

- At the time of purchase, surely such major work should have been advised/mentioned?

Is there anything I can do? Do I have point I could argue? I am I liable for the payment?
Working...
X