Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valuing an easement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuing an easement

The back garden fence of my property in High Barnet has an easement over adjoining land, much to the discomfort of the landowner.

He wishes to develop the land and we are due to go to mediation next week to settle a legal wrangle instigated by the landowner to 'tie up' my easement.

The landowner had the adjoining land valued five years ago at between £5-10 million in terms of development value.

My property is worth c.£450,000.

When we sit down to agree a settlement next week, we have been led to believe the landowner will make an offer for the gate in the garden fence to be sealed up so that he can proceed with the sale of the land to developers.

Clearly a sale and subsequent development cannot go through while I have an easement over the property, but neither could I sell my house while embroiled in a legal dispute.

Does anyone know how much I should be looking for in terms of the value of my easement? All replies/suggestions gratefully received!

Re: Valuing an easement

Sorry to tag onto the thread.

We have a strip of land that goes across the top of the main access road to form a turning head (we live on a private drive off the turning head) behind our land is farmland that I'm convinced will be built on one day.

I too wonder if there is an accepted formula for calculating the value of these sorts of easements or is it purely down to who is the better negotiator?

Comment

Working...
    X