Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendor withholding information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor withholding information

My wife and I recently made an offer on an old farmhouse in a rural location. I asked the vendor specifically if he knew of any potential development around or behind the property. He told me it was impossible as there was no access.

*We instructed a surveyor to carry out valuation and building surveys, *paid for the mortgage application to be processed and legal fees. We put our current home on the market and instructed estate agents. In addition to the inconvenience it has cost us approximately £1500.

We have just found out that there is a planning application for a wind farm with up to fifteen 120 metre high turbines directly behind and visible from the property. We know that the company installing them has sent at least two letters to local residents informing them as part of the consultation process.

Is this similar to concealing information about noisy neighbours? What legislation covers this? Is it criminal or civil and do we have recourse to sue for recovery of our expended costs?

Regards,

Iain.

Re: Vendor withholding information

I doubt it!

Comment

Re: Vendor withholding information

If he didn't put it in writing he will probably deny he said that.

Cost of going to court over this kind thing likely to be more than loss to OP.

Moral, when buying out of area don't just talk to the seller, call on neighbours, ask at the local pub....
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
      X