Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satellite Dish Revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Dish Revisited

I posted a message over a month ago about the Management Company failing to enforce a condition in the lease the prohibits the installation of a satellite dish on the building. JustinN kindly posted a reply.

Now the Managment Company (i.e. the directors) want to install a communal satellite dish for the "benefit" of everyone, and propose to recover the cost by increasing the service charge. So now I am to be asked to pay towards something I do not want and that should not be there at all as the lease expressly forbids the installation of a satellite dish. The directors are not proposing changes to the lease and say a democratic vote of leaseholders gives them the right to have the communal satellite dish installed and charge ALL leaseholders whether they want it or not.

What should I do? I do not want a satellite dish and feel I should not have to pay towards the cost of it. Would it be in order for me to withhold my "share" of the increased service charge - i.e. if the cost of the communal satellite dish were £450, deduct £50 as one of the nine leaseholders? I do not see how it is right that I should have to pay towards something that breaches the terms of the lease.

I hope someone will advise me on this one.
    Last edited by Hotpend; 27-03-2011, 10:49 PM.

Re: Satellite Dish Revisited

Read your lease.

It is quite common for a freeholder to able to charge both for services and facilities he is obliged to provide and also those that he has a discretion to provide. If there is general wording allowing for charging for facilities that the freeholder decides to provide he may be authorised to charge for them - it all depends on the lease wording.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Thanks, Richard

I will look at the lease regarding the issues your raise. I am however still confused as to how the Management Company can install a satellite dish (or "authorise" someone to install one) when the lease specifically forbids the installation of satellite dishes. There is no discretion as I see it. The wording is clear and unambiguous. Please would you clarify this for me?

Comment

The lease could specifically prevent a lessee from installing a satellite dish but say nothing about the lessor not doing so.
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
        X