Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about ex partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about ex partner

Hi,
    Hopefully someone can help I bought a house with my ex a few years ago. We've recently broke up and she's transferred the mortgage direct debit to her sole account. Could this give her leverage to get me taken off the mortgage in future?
    Regards
    Mike

Re: question about ex partner

In the experience and knowledge i know is she can't legally take you off the mortgage without your say so.
    My mum wanted to take my dad off the mortgage and was advised to offer a token gesture deal to basically buy the mortgage responsability off him.

But years i later found out that technically his name wasn't taken off to which aided my mother when he died in 2004 and they took out a mortgage insurance and the mortgage got paid off (basically).
    We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

Hi,
      Hopefully someone can help I bought a house with my ex a few years ago. We've recently broke up and she's transferred the mortgage direct debit to her sole account. Could this give her leverage to get me taken off the mortgage in future?
      Regards
      Mike
      Do you want to come off the mortgage?

The property will most likely be held by both of you so you would have to transfer your share in the property to her and your signature is needed for that.

The lender will normally also have to consent tot he transfer and release you form your obligations. Until then your are released and you have transferred your share to her you are still liable even if she defaults.
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
        Until then your are released and you have transferred your share to her you are still liable even if she defaults.
        This is a common trap, so be very very careful of this - you both need to ensure you have a proper transparent agreement in place relating to how the mortgage is paid and the share of the property is divided.

Your partner may be under the mistaken impression that paying for the mortgage entitles them to the property, which is absolutely not the case while your name is on the deeds.

Conversely, if your partner defaults, this can land you in series hot water. I had a friend caught out like this when she let her ex stay in their old property and defaulted. She ended up having to declare bankruptcy.

Comment

Working...
        X