Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leasehold/Freehold of next door.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leasehold/Freehold of next door.

Hi,

Last year I purchased a leasehold semi detached house. During the purchase process the solicitors identified that the leasehold was actually for both dwellings, mine and the adjoining semi. (e.g. No 12 and 14). They advised that this was not a concern.

The leasehold title held by the land registry for No12 is in my name as is the most recent leasehold for next door.

The freehold title for both properties held by the land registry is in the name of a land management company. These are the people to whom I pay the annual leasehold rent to.

There is also a another leasehold held by the land registry from 1989 in the name of Mr X. There are tenants in the next door property through an agency and as yet I do not know if their landlord is Mr X.

Can any shed any light on this based on the info above. I'd like to know how there appear to be two leaseholds on the neighbouring property?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Leasehold/Freehold of next door.

Have you got copies of your leasehold Land Registry title and that of the next door belonging to Mr X? If not go to landregistry.gov.uk website and pay to get the relevant copies and then look at the entries.

Does the Property Register for your title start: The leasehold land known as 12 & 14.... or is it just 12?

It should then give details of the lease:
    Date; [date of original lease]
    Term: ZZZ years from [usually a different date from that of the lease]
    Parties:
    (1) Some person or company
    (2) Some other person.

The names of the original parties to the lease do not have much to do with anything now so do not get worried about them - they are simply the people who signed the original document probably many yaers ago.

Then have a look at the entries for the next door house. Let us know what they both say - particularly if it says that either of the leases include other land. the we can explain further.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X