Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covenant Removal and Planning Permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covenant Removal and Planning Permission

Hi all,

We're looking to build a house on land which is currently our garden. We do have a restrictive covenant which says "not to erect any building or other structure without permission.." (from the local authority). Other properties on our estate have had this covenant removed, which I know doesn't guarantee anything..

However, is it best to apply for planning permission first then get apply for the covenant removal, or get the covenant removed first? I only ask as the council want 1% of the build cost of anything built, I don't want to pay this then get refused planning permission.

I don't really want to pay for covenant removal, then get planning permission refused, they don't do refunds

I'd be grateful for any advice..

Many thanks,
    Graham

Re: Covenant Removal and Planning Permission

You go for the planning permission first. Then apply to have the covenant removed, or more likely, for specific permission under the covenant for the construction of what the planing permission allows.

It is always a matter of negotiation with the covenant holder but usually you will have to pay 33-50% of the increase in value of the land by reason of the planning permission.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X