Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Liability Insurance vs Professional Indemnity Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Liability Insurance vs Professional Indemnity Insurance

I asked a contractor the other day if they held PII and if so, how much. This is so I know that if their work is poor and there was ever a problem resulting in legal action and compensation, their PII would or should pay out.

The person came back and said he has Public Liability Insurance up to £2million. I don't think these are one and the same. Could somebody please clarify the position and tell me if I needed to claim compensation for poor workmanship or negligence that I could claim off of their public liability insurance.

Re: Public Liability Insurance vs Professional Indemnity Insurance

Public liability covers him if a member of the public is injured on site (for instance) or he excavates and electricity cable in error. It does not cover him for contractual claims or similar (incliding for negligent work) by you
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Justin, could you elaborate a little on your point and explain what insurance would be appropriate to cover for contractual claims then? should both insurances be taken separately or there is any insurance option available that can cover both purposes?

Comment

If you are talking about a builder or some allied trade then I think you have a fat chance of them having professional indemnity insurance for bad workmanship.

There might be one somewhere with this insurance but I think you have far too high an expectation!
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
        X