Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic Signing of Contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Signing of Contracts

There is a service based in the USA I am interested in using as a way of having my tenants (current and future) sign new tenancy contracts or signing other documents related to their tenancy.

It's called EchoSign and they claim British Telecom uses their service. They also provide links to UK Government laws enacted to allow (apparently) electronic signing of contracts in the UK.

I have asked a few people whether they thought electronic signatures to sign ASTs was legally enforceable and created a proper tenancy contract, but they said no. I'd like to find out if anybody on this forum either uses the service or a similar service and whether such contracts signed on this basis would be recognised as enforceable in the UK courts for scenarios such as eviction proceedings, deposit disputes, other tenancy disputes, and so on.

Would a tenant recognise it as a valid and legally binding contract?

Your thoughts.....

Re: Electronic Signing of Contracts

My understanding is that in preparation for a full transition to paperless land transfer at the Land Registry legislation was enacted to allow for electronic signatures but it hasn't been brought into effect. The Land Registry have been working out how to implement it all and it has been put on hold now because of various other practical difficulties and cut backs.

I don't know if the legislation is wide enough also to cover ASTs, but I suspect it is unlikely. The Land Registry proposal was that the conveyancers would have electronic signatures and would electronically sign on behalf of their clients, so I don't know that it was ever intended that everyone would be able to use such a signature.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: Electronic Signing of Contracts

Usually electronic signatures offer an added advantage. They ensure the integrity in the closed document. The person signing your contract is not able to revoke as well as destroy the understanding or deny that they can did not sign your document. Documents closed electronically are more risk-free than paper papers and can't be transformed during or following signing event. Even more, electronically closed documents are as legal as those on paper.

Comment

Working...
      X