Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Regs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Regs

Hi

In Feb 2009 I had a new kitchen fitted. As part of this work I had the existing external door bricked up and had a new double glazed french doors put where the window was. The new window and bricks used matched existing items.

My concern is whether I should have had building regs on this work. The Builder did not say I should (and he had been in the game for a long time, so a lot of trust was put on him).

If I should have had this then how are BC likely to react if I phone them?

My concern is I am thinking of selling the house and do not want this to hinder any sale.

thanks!

Re: Building Regs

I think you should have obtained Building Regulations consent

I would be cautious about approaching Building Control for retrospective consent, and instead offer your buyer an indemnity policy
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

thanks for the advice. I would point out that to fit the new french doors the builder only had to cut down the brick work, and a colleague of mine who is having similar work donw was told by her B.Regs that this is not consider structural. The only issue I can see is having the Glazing approved in the window as being to the right standard.

Comment

Whether the work was structural or not, I cannot say, not knowing exactly what was done - which may not be identical to your friend's work. However, I do think Building Regulations consent should have been applied for (As you say, Building Regulations apply to the glazing, anyway). If it was not needed for the other work, then that would have been confirmed. I also think that getting indemnity insurance is a better course of action than applying for retrospective consent.
        This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

That probably is the way forward then. Re getting restrospective consent, is the caution on this that they may say put it back as was? So then it all comes down to what personyou catch and what mood they are in? thanks

Comment

That is one risk. The main problem with applying for retrospective consent is that it means you then cannot get indemnity insurance cover

Comment

Working...
            X