Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not picked up in searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not picked up in searches

Hi there guys. I wanted to know where i stand with a problem i have encountered. I bought my house about 6 years ago and everything seemed fine. i decided to have the garage converted to a bedroom for my gran who is not too well. The builders started to remove the floor to replace it with an insulated one and found the outside wall of the garage was built on top of the concrete base floor and so had no fondations. The building inspector came and had a look and said we would have to knock the garage down and rebuild. my builders knocked down thegagrage and now we have found the utility room on the back of the garage also has no real foundations. just bricks and dirt underneath a concerete slab. they have quoted me almost £3000 to have it underpinned, which i cant afford with all the other wok going on. the building inspector asked whether my solicitor who did the conveyancing had picked up on this as the garage and utility have no building regs approval in his searches. My solicitor did not pick up on any of this and the vendor did not disclose it to me either. is there any recompense i can claim for, either from my solicitor or the vendor and should it have been picked up in the searches? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: not picked up in searches

When were the garage and utility room built? If long ago, then information regarding Building Regulations compliance would probably not have been available

If built fairly recently, how would your solicitor have known? Was it mentioned in the estate agent's particulars, for instance, or in your own survey report?

If built by your seller, was this disclosed in the property information forms?

Your solicitor can only be expected to check that Building Regulations consent was obtained and complioed with if s/he has reason to think it was needed (the best way is if a surveyor inspects the property and gives details of work that has been carried out there) and if the relevant information is available
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X