Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Damaged Listed Building - Where Do We Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Damaged Listed Building - Where Do We Stand?

My wife and I are considering buying a grade 2 listed building. When we viewed the property we noted that the previous owner (who has had the building repossessed and which is now for sale by the lender) has removed several significant marble fireplaces. This has been reported to the local council but as the person involved is now bankrupt it is very inlikely that there will be any chance of them being replaced by him. So, where does that leave us as potential purchasers? Surely, we can't be forced to bear the cost of his damage or can we?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Re: Buying a Damaged Listed Building - Where Do We Stand?

I'm afraid that, if you buy, you can indeed be made liable to restore the building, despite the fact that you were not responsible for the removal of the fireplaces

I suggest that, before you exchange contracts, you speak to the Conservation Officer to see what view will be taken - get it in writing if you can!
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X