Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abstracts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abstracts?

Okay, we found ONE house that could possibly work with just minor reconstruction. Except, there is no abstract ready. This is required and must be up to date. Upon asking around the last person we have found that updated it was back in the early 1980's. After asking a few people who bring abstracts up, I was told that to bring the abstract up to date would cost more than the house! has anyone ever dealt with this kinda thing?

Wow, to be honest I am not to sure what this is but something that would cost as much as the house to get done is quite ridiculous to me. What exactly is this abstract mean? Thanks I am just not to sure.

Comment

yes, it is really ridiculous in my opinion. A property abstract catalogues, in chronological fashion, all legal documents pertaining to a parcel of land. Included are references to deeds, mortgages, wills, probate records, court litigation, and tax sales--the essential legal proceedings that affect property ownership. The abstract reveals the names of all people who have owned the property, how long each owner had it, and how much it sold for when it changed hands. Only rarely, however, does it mention buildings or capital improvements to the property. The abstract is a good starting place for research of a historic building because it deals with real property and not specifically the buildings and other improvements. The abstract also confirms that there are no outstanding liens or back taxes. This gives you even more information ... its where I got that definition above.. Information About Property Abstracts

Comment

I am an English Solicitor and the first post didn't make sense and I thought perhaps this was a Scots legal term - but I find the explanation refers to the law of Wisconsin!

It would really be more helpful to everyone if the posts were about property in the UK as this is a co.uk site!
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Yep, we do tend to attract a larger international audience as well. It may make sense to separate non-UK property issues into a specific US board, actually.

And welcome to HomeMove Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
            I am an English Solicitor and the first post didn't make sense and I thought perhaps this was a Scots legal term - but I find the explanation refers to the law of Wisconsin!

It would really be more helpful to everyone if the posts were about property in the UK as this is a co.uk site!
            The law is actually for the whole US I believe however I thought that it was okay for US to post on this forum as some of us are interested in UK property. I am sorry for any confusion. Next time I will be certain to state as to where the law would pertain.

Comment

Working...
            X