Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer of deeds??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of deeds??

Hi,
    Firstly what a helpful forum!! I am getting divorced from my wife, I solely own my home (4+ years) and have paid all bills, mortgages etc. My wife did not contribute while we were together.
    It looks like she may be seeking to gain 1/2 the equity in the house even though we had agreed a settlement figure earlier in the new year.

My question is - Can I transfer the deeds to my house, so she cannot touch it? .....or is there another way? A matrimonial homes notice has not been placed on it (yet).

Thx

Re: Transfer of deeds??

I am not a family/matrimonial lawyer, but my understanding from my limited experience is that the answer is "No" - all assets of you and your wife will be "pooled" and the divorce court will decide how, in your particular circumstances, they will be split, the normal starting point being 50:50
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Re: Transfer of deeds??

Indeed, when you marry you are effectively agreeing to share all assets. It has been long reported that the share of assets after a divorce can feel unfair to a party with extensive assets - hence the rise of pre-nuptial agreements. However, ultimately, divorce is inlikely to feel like a positive experience to anyone having to go through it.

Comment

Working...
      X