Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CGT query; was letting, now moving in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGT query; was letting, now moving in

Hi all,

we are about to sell our main residence, where we have lived for around 10 years.
    During that time we have been letting out previous home, a jointly owned flat.

As we're going to be "homeless" for 6-12 months, till we find the next place, we're considering moving into the old flat.

So, the question is this; if we move (lock, stock and barrel) into the old flat for "a few months" and later move out, sell, and purchase a new property, does this wipe the slate clean for CGT?
    If it does, is there a minimal period that we need to live there for this to be 100% treated as our primary residence?

Thanks
    Scott

Re: CGT query; was letting, now moving in

Sorry - this is me just enabling emails on any replies

Comment

You're exempt from CGT on your main residence. If you're renting instead, this may complicate matters with HMRC as you are obviously not living there!

Comment

Thanks Brian, but I possibly didn't explain myself properly.

We're currently living in our main residence, will sell that shortly, so there's obviously no CGT on that.
        The question is that, if we move into another property that we've owned for 13 years, but been letting in all that time, is CGT payable when/if we finally move out of it and sell it?
        In other words, how long do you need to live somewhere for it to be officially recognised as your "main residence"?

Rgs
        Scott

Comment

CGT is a bit of a minefield - see WHERE DO YOU LIVE? CGT MAIN RESIDENCE RELIEF ON MORE THAN ONE HOME | General | Tax Articles for example - and you probably need advice from a tax accountant, rather than a conveyancing solicitor
          This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
          X