Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final stages of buying signing contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final stages of buying signing contracts

Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody could help. I am in the process of buying a house the solicitor has finally got everything together after over 6 weeks even though I had my mortgage approved before , and they have now asked me to come down and sign the papers. I have all the funds in place and I will be writing him a cheque when I go down to sign the docs. He has stated that he can only move to the next step once the cheque has cleared I was wondering is this true cant he just agree a completion date when I sign the documents?
    thanks

Re: Final stages of buying signing contracts

Most solicitors will not draw their cheque (for the deposit money) until they have cleared funds. IE: If their client gives them a cheque, the solicitoirs will norfmally want to clear the cheque before drawing against it

I feel this shows a sad lack of trust but there you go. For another thing, I think a client would be very stupid to bounce a cheque for the deposit when he would be "on the hook" for the whole contract.

I would have expected the solicitor to warn you of this at least a week ago, so that you could send a cheque in advance, to clear in time for this stage. Sometimes, one feels that solicitors like to build in a delay for some wierd reason!

There is way around this: you could offer to send the deposit money by same-day electronic (CHAPS) transfer. This will cost you about £25, but if the delay is a problem it might be worth it. This is not the same as a BACS transfer, which takes 3 banking days to arrive.

I hope this helps
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X