Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are property solicitors a rip-off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are property solicitors a rip-off?

Solicitors are heavily regulated and very anti-competitive. Having worked in the profession before I know that a lot of work is created simply to push fees up. In addition, half the time solicitors have no idea what they are doing, either because of incompetence or because of time pressures.

What do you think of this? What experience do you have of property solicitors? Do you think they are worth the money?

Stephen

You won't be surprised to hear that I take great exception to those sweeping generalisations!
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Hi Justin,

Of course, they're a bit too sweeping, but designed to provoke discussion...

My (general) view is that the legal profession as a single regulated profession should be broken up, and that the legal regulators should be deprived of their strangehold over the profession which creates stifled business conditions, high fees for clients, and does little to address the poor quality of legal advice which many clients receive. Of course, some sort of regulation is required, but only regulation which maintains quality and accessibility of advice whilst creating free competition in the sector.

I realise these are to some extent sweeping comments too, but they are sentiments I hold nonetheless. What is your view on regulation/competition in the legal profession?

I see you are yourself a solicitor - would you deny there is strong self-interest in keeping the sector so closed?

Comment

If by "closed" you mean every firm of solicitors and licensed conveyancers having to compete with each other, then your idea of "closed" is not mine. Certainly, I think the profession is over-regulated, but I suspect every other profession feels that, too

Who else would you want to handle conveyancing (as I cassume that is what you are getting at rather than, say, litigation, probate or family law)?
        This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
        X