Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchased house with gas leak. Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased house with gas leak. Help

My mother has just purchased a house, after key exchange she went into property and smelled gas. Called an engineer out to inspect who informed her that there was a leak, he condemned the boiler and contacted the solicitor. Has she got any where she can go with this or is it now up to her to pay for a new boiler and fix the leak? Does the seller or estate agents have an obligation to get this sorted?

Hi Aaron,

Sorry to hear about this situation, it sounds incredibly stressful for your mother. If she got a surveyor to do a survey before buying the property, and this wasn't discovered, she could potentially take it up with RICS or the surveyor.

If she didn't get a survey before buying, then I'm afraid it will sit with her and there probably isn't anything she can do.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Comment

Thanks, I've passed this information onto her. She did have a survey done before buying but I wasn't sure if this was something that they would check as a basic survey. Her solicitor at the moment is not returning her calls either which is causing her more problems but she will hopefully get some answers when they get back to her. If there is any liability on the surveyors side then I get the feeling this may be ongoing for a while so I've advised her to get prepared to purchase a new boiler herself. If there's any more advise you can offer then I will pass it on. Many thanks
      ​​​​

Comment

Working...
      X