Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifting

Hi my mum gave be some money when my father died and she sold their house. I have just started buying a house, I went through the giving process with the mortgage company and all was fine, got a signed letter, ID and statement showing my mothers house sale entering her bank and another showing the money she sent me and another of my bank receiving it, the mortgage company gave me an offer. Now my solicitor is asking for the same which I expected so I sent all off, now they are asking why my mums balance went from 500k to 250k before my money? They now want all of my mums bank statements between the date of her house sale and me getting some money. The reason is she purchased a smaller house. My mum is really not happy with this and saying no to the statements as its her business how she spends her money. Not only this the solicitor want a years statements from me, from November 17 when she gave me the money to see all the movements of the money (if any) because when I got the money I transferred it to my savings the same day. The solicitor is also making mistakes all the time. I don't know what to do. Is this normal. My sister didn't get any of these hassles.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with the process, especially as you say, your sister didn't have these issues. There are more in depth systems in place now to try to stop money laundering, and both banks and conveyancing solicitors have to be incredibly thorough in showing that the gift is completely legitimate.

Whilst I understand your mother's resistance and need for privacy, refusing to give the statements needed might cause problems for you in confirming the sale. We do have more information on gifted deposits and bank processes on our site. I hope it can be of some help.

A parent or relative giving you part of your deposit? There are a few things you should know...

Comment

Working...
    X