Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing an Office into Flats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing an Office into Flats

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1st floor office above a shop and was wondering if anyone had previous experience of such developments. I have heard it is very difficult to process the change of usage and meet certain requirements such as sound proofing and fire regs, is this true?

Any help would be much apprecaited

Initially, you'll need 'change of use' permission from the planning dept at the local council - this is what changes its use from office class to residential class (there's numbers for each of them, I can't recall which)

For any physical alterations, you may or may not need planning consent, depending on the scope - ask the duty planning officer at the council for advice. If you're relocating any WCs, bathrooms, or installing new versions of same, I think you need building control or building warrant approval. Again, see the duty planning officer at the council concerned.

Also consider if you're planning on selling this as a home when converted, that some mortgage companies can be picky about lending on residential properties above retail premises.....

Comment

Working...
    X