Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Remortgage and Purchase , Change Remortgage Bank provided solicitor

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remortgage and Purchase , Change Remortgage Bank provided solicitor

    Hi ,
    Rather a long query but would help if someone can advise what should we do

    Story so far

    - We applied for two mortgages for converting our current house into buy to let and release some equity to buy our main house.
    - Current house - Remortgage to Buy to Let with equity release.
    - Main house - Standard home purchase mortgage.
    - Both mortgages have been approved by the banks ( two seperate banks ).
    - For the purchase of our new house we have our own solicitor and for the remortgage the bank has provided theirs.
    - Our solicitor is within our control to push things forward but the solicitor for remortgage seems to be very slow.
    - Also on remortgage I need to add my wifes name to the title deed.

    So the question is

    - How do I push the remortgage solicitor to move their work faster so that things can get moving ?

    - Can I change the bank solicitor and make it the same as my purchase so that atleast the paper work is all inhouse ?

    - How long does adding a name to title deed take . Can contracts be exchanged on submission to land registry or it can be only done once the title deed has been ammended. As we have the below condition

    "the property must be conveyed into the names Mr and Mrs either at the same time or as the mortgage starts. The solicitor must get statutory declaration of solvency form and clear bankruptcy search against the donor "

    Any thoughst please ? Thank you

  • #2
    Best advice would be to speak to the solicitor dealing with your purchase. They will be able to advise as to whether it would be best to transfer the remortgage matter to them (subject to your agreement to pay their fees as it may be you are on a ‘free legals’ remortgage product which only allows you to use certain practices). You do have freedom of choice in most circumstances, if you are prepared to pay the additional legal fees.


    • #3
      The best I can suggest is that you speak to the solicitor dealing with your purchase and they should be able to advise on the remortgage (and transfer of equity), timescales and process. They will also advise you about whether it is possible to move the remortgage work to them (be prepared to pay for the same as it is unlikely they will offer a ‘free legals’ as the present firm may be doing).