Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freehold query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freehold query

As a freeholder, I own the freehold to mine & a neighbouring property. If I move, can I retain the freehold to the neighbouring propery or do I have to include it in the sale of my property to the new owners? Who would give me a valuation of the freehold for the neighbouring property for selling purposes? What rights do I have as a freeholder- as all the rights seem to be with the leaseholder who has never paid a penny for the lease & does not adhere to the terms thereof.
    thanks in advance.

If the two properties are unconnected, you do not need to sell the freehold of the neighbouring property when you sell your own, but I suspect there is more background to this that first appears - for instance, how did you acquire the freehold to the neighbouring property? Did you acquire it with the freehold of your own property? If so, why are the two properties linked?

As to your rights under the lease, these depend initially on the terms of the lease, subject to the various protections that tenants/leaseholders have under various statutes

The value of the neighbouring freehold will depend largely on the rental income and the repairing etc, obligations of freeholder and leaseholder under the lease - a valuer (surveyor who also does valuations) is the person to contact

I hope this helps
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X