Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charge on Property Following Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge on Property Following Divorce

Hello,
    I am new to this site so I hope you can help. My partner has a charge on the former matrimonial home he shared with with ex-wife as part of their divorce settlement. He is entitled to 20% of the equity following the sale of the property which is unlikey to be for a few years yet. He has no legal liability over the mortgage as his name has since been removed. Does anyone know whether it is possible to release some of this equity early and what that entails? We are looking to move out of our rented accommodation and in the current financil climate this maybe the only way we can do it.

Many Thanks

In theory, he could assign his entitlement to the 20% share in exchange for a cash payment now, but I have to say that I have never come across this in practice
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X