Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sell my share of the house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I sell my share of the house?

I own my home with my siblings (we are ALL on the deeds) most have moved on (bought houses, relocated to different countries). None of them want to help refurbish the property, leaving me with all the costs. None of them want to sell either, leaving me to look after the house (paying for all building costs alone) I am stuck, as I cannot afford a mortgage without money from this house and am desperate to move out as I am tired of doing everything whilst my other siblings may benefit from all my hard work and money. Is there any way I can get out through selling my share of the house (25%)? Any help/advice would be immensely appreciated. I am pulling my hair out in frustration.

If you are the only owner living in the house, it is very likely (if push came to shove) that a court would make an order for sale on your application: apart from it being a home for you, it is only a financial asset (in the law's eyes). So, if none of your siblings will buy out your 25% share at a fair price, you can probably force a sale of the whole property from which you can take your 25% share

First, I suggest you offer your share to your siblings to buy you out, however

I hope this helps
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
    X