Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problems with builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with builder

Hi all

I got my new home built about 18 months ago,
    The problem is on the plans it was clearly stated that a visqueen raddon barrier should be installed in the foundation of the house,

But the bulder did not install this instead installed a drimaster 2000 which is a remedial raddon measure.

The drimaster is now stuck in my roof space where eventually bedrooms will be going as it is a 3 bedroom bungalow with cut trusses for a later conversion.

I have held back money from the builder as this is not what was stated on the plans ,

But he has been sending me a lot of solicitors letters threatening to take me to court ,

Please can someone tell me where I stand in legal terms,

Thanks

Chris2005
    Last edited by chris2005; 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Help

Please can someone Help me.

Many thanks

Comment

It sounds as though the builder has not complied with the specification, but one would need to see the contract and specification in order to be sure
      This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Hi Justin

It is stated on the plans that a visqueen barrier is to be installed,

And there is no alternative stated anywhere on the plans or contract which I signed,

And I was never informed of any changes that had been made until it was to late,

Many Thanks

Comment

On the face of it, and subject to any loopholes or exclusion clauses (and their enforceability) it looks like a breach of contract by the builder. I think you need specific, face-to-face legal advice: surely the solicitor who handled the conveyancing can help, or introduce you to another solicitor who can?
          This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
          X