Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage/deeds in sole name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage/deeds in sole name

Hi,

My husband is at university at the moment and is not working. I have just been through a prelim mortgage application and discovered that as my husband has no income we would have a better mortgage offer if only I took the mortgage. This would also mean that he would not be on the title deeds and have no claim to the property in event of us separating (not that we are planning it). Is there any way of protecting both our interests on this so that we both have security with the property and neither of us lose out financially?

If I haven't explained anything very well please ask questions!

Thanks for looking

Sam

Assuming that we are talking about the position under English law (I cannot comment on what applies under foreign jurisdictions, even Scotland) and assuming you are, indeed, married (not just living together), then your husband will have a right of occupation and the house will be treated as a "matrimonial asset" without any other action. Hoverver, if you want the position set out clearly, you could arrange for a restriction (in form N, I believe, from memory) to be entered on the title register for the property, requiring your husband's consent before the property can be sold
    I hope this helps
    This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

What would you do after his uni time? If its solely in your name, its your credit that gets shot to pieces and not his if you don't pay... be aware of all the implications before you agree.
      100% Mortgage

Comment

... and if you are both borrowers unable to pay, then both your credit ratings get "shot to pieces" - is that a better scenario? I think not!
        This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum

Comment

Working...
        X