Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting planning permission without yet owning the property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting planning permission without yet owning the property

Hi,

-Hopefully I have put this message in the right thread.

I’ve seen a house I’d like to buy on 1 acre of land.
    I suspect I can get planning permission on the same land to build another house (1/2 acre per house).

I would like to know if there is a way, maybe contractually, to put in an offer for the house subject to me getting outline planning permission?

If planning permission was granted, the house/land would be worth more – so why wouldn’t the current owner sell it for the higher price themselves? – I need something to tie-in the owner, say If I was to put a £10k deposit on the house for me not to pull out unless I did not get planning permission? The current owner would also have to sign a contract (maybe of the same value?) not to pull out after planning permission is granted.

Basically, I need to know if there is a way to get planning permission for a new house on the land of a property that I do not yet own, if I do get planning permission – what stops the current owner taking my hard work (in plans & legal cost etc)and selling the house for a higher price?

Many thanks
    Tony

P.S – house & land is in England, - hence English property law.

Is it currently for sale?

If not, do you know that the owner would be willing to sell in the first place?

Comment

Once you open discussions about contracting on this basis, what's going to stop the current owner from not selling to you at all, applying for permission himself, then selling to the highest bidder?

If I got wind of the possibility that my house would be worth more with planning in place, and you came along with an offer based on its value without planning, I'm pretty sure I'd knock you back, get some drawings done, and stump up two or three hundred pounds to the council in order to sell it at a higher price later.

Where's his incentive to sell it to you, knowing that you're looking to get it at the basic price and profit from it later?

Comment

I agree with you – I would also sell at a higher price
        what I’m trying to do is reduce my risk. – I want land to build-on.
        This is how I am looking at it.
        If I buy land, with a property on, I can get a mortgage, live in the house on the land while building the new house. Whereas if I just buy land with planning permission, I will not get a mortgage. (maybe I will, but at a stupid rate)
        I know I can approach the local council planning department and get a verbal “yes it’s possible” but that’s not a guarantee.
        Is there a way I can get more of a commitment from the council to build if I was to buy the house?

Thanks for your replies

Comment

Originally posted by biggs1 View Post
          I know I can approach the local council planning department and get a verbal “yes it’s possible” but that’s not a guarantee.
          Is there a way I can get more of a commitment from the council to build if I was to buy the house?
          I'm no expert but I doubt you'd get any sort of positive commitment from the LA.

Of course it could all be academic as you could phone them and they might even tell you that you would be extremely unlikely to get PP due to access issues or whatever then you would know not to proceed with the purchase.

Kaz

Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Comment

Working...
            X